Friday 2 September 2011

Online impact

Ok so this is yet another bit of the internet which I have to maintain now and it got me thinking how much time I spend just keeping things up to date. I mean right now I'm updating this new blog while constantly reading all the info of twitter, as well as talking to people on Facebook. Thats not to mention checking and responding to email and keeping photo albums up to date online.

So I know there's a reason I do all this, but what is the point in having such a big online impact, is it really so necessary to be everywhere online talking to the people you see all day? Wouldn't it be better to go on a night out with friends rather than sit in the house talking to them on Facebook or MSN.

Granted I know I sound like a hypocrite cause I'm writing this online but thats one of the main ways to reach a bigger audience nowadays, to be online cause the other forums  of media are dying out. How many young people today will sit down and read a news paper to find out whats going on? they won't they'll go online and read about it or, like I do a lot of the time, people will find out through social media. Take the recent earthquake in japan, i found out about that when I saw it on Facebook and then went to the BBC news website to read the story, this is the true meaning of social media, learning things the old fashion way, well sort of, through people you know.

I'm not calling new media a bad thing, it has many merits and I have to admit i couldn't live without it. But when people live for there Facebook and twitter then things have gone to far. When fights break out because someone liked somebody else's status things have gotten serious. And when criminals start using social media, the recent UK riots, then things are going wrong somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment